Friday, November 11, 2005

Darkness is closing in on Redwing Marsh in eastern Massachusetts, and in one month I will leave it forever for a new life in the Adirondacks. Leaving a suburban existence is incredibly complicated, and extricating ourselves from the unwelcome trappings of urban life has been as difficult as trying to shake off garage cobwebs--you know the kind, gauzy stuff so sticky you're forced to live with them until the next laundry.

Problems everywhere we look, the worst being dealing with contractors, painters, and "handymen." I won't continue in this vein because this kind of chatter sucks all the life out of me. Now when I get a call or an e-mail from one of our Adirondack friends, I'm so cheered up, I jump out of my grumpy suit. The Future! It really is out there after all!

Tomorrow we pick up the rental truck, Sunday we pack it, and Monday we drive up for the closing on our new house, which will take place at ten on Tuesday morning. This is only phase one of our move--we move permanently with all the rest of our stuff on December 14. But what's keeping me alive is knowing we'll be up there from Monday until Saturday morning next week.

On Wednesday morning, November 16, I'll make coffee and take that first cup with me and sit in front of the huge windows that look out on our pastures and woods--all 26.7 acres of it. I'll write in my journal, something I've found just too hard to do these past weeks as I race from one moving task to the next.

When will I take that first solo walk? (Sophie will be visiting all her aunts, uncles, and cousins next week.) We have to remember to bring the brush cutters, so I can start bushwhacking some ski trails out the back. I can't get too busy with that because I've got to drop in at Gore Mountain so they can take my photo for my season's pass. And my other important piece of business is getting a library card at the local library.

There's so much I want to do at our new place (hiking, exploring my new town of 2200 people, getting my office set up, reading and writing again, cooking, snowshoeing, alpine skiing, cross-country skiing), it'll kill me to have to drive back here and finish all the hard work. Deep down I may be a lazybones after all. If that's not true, then at the least I'm allergic to moving.

I'm eager to begin recording the details of our adventure. Just a couple of more days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home