Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Today is our first full day in our new house. We pulled in yesterday at around noon, and set to work with a vengeance, discarding bag after bag of junk that the previous owners left behind. Monday night, when we had the pre-arranged, pre-closing "walk through," I silently hit the panic button when I realized the owners were leaving us everything they didn't want to take. Due to a host of irresolvable circumstances, not the least of which was that the former owners knew everybody in our new town and would badmouth us to everyone if we insisted on a remedy, we did not press our point--that the purchase agreement states that we were buying the house "furnished," but with "personal belongings" removed. So much for contracts! Our realtor promised to help us bag all the stuff and haul everything to the Adirondack version of the Salvation Army and to the dump, which she did. I was extremely grateful--it would have created a messy scene to force these people, and without her help at the house, I would have been completely overwhelmed.

So today dawned, raining hard as it did all day yesterday, but with me feeling much better after a decent night's sleep. Everything has been uphill since the day of the closing.

With help, we've emptied the truck we brought, our phone is working, and our DSL and wireless all connected. We don't have satellite tv yet, that is going to have to wait until we move in permanently next month.

So this morning I had my fresh-ground coffee with cream as planned, and looked out on our land. Terrible visibility, though. I could see the hills, but not the mountains. I do hope it clears before we have to go home Saturday! Although the previous owners tried to scare us with stories of a parade of black bears marching across the property and bobcats in our woods, I was much more afraid of the chance of running into a mouse indoors. The house inspector told us about the mouse droppings he found in the crawl spaces, and I found droppings and a container of D-Con under the kitchen sink. Yeah, I'm terrified of mice for some reason. I even stand up on chairs and scream, "Eeek! Ohmigod, a MOUSE!" But so far the only wildlife I've seen has been a chickadee that scolded us--I guess he thinks it's high time we put a feeder up. We will, wee chickadee, when we move in in December.

A cold front is moving through. The temperature has dropped 18 degrees since this morning. I'd love to see snow, of course. I'd like nothing better than to march through my woods and come across a bobcat. What do they think we bought their house for? Sipping cocktails by the pool? This is the wilderness, for chrissakes!

Tomorrow we go to the "big city" to drop off the rental truck and go to Home Depot for supplies. We'll check out one of the several supermarkets, too. I can't wait for the moving-in process to be over so I can begin having some adventures around here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home