Thursday, November 17, 2005

This morning I was up at six. My heart flip-flopped when I walked downstairs to the living room and saw mauve tendrils of clouds that promised a glorious sunrise. For the next couple of hours I kept returning to the windows to watch the morning unfold. I had thought the living room faced east, but it appears it faces east--northeast or even north-northeast. I need a compass to figure it all out.

I wanted to run upstairs, dress, and race out the door to the woods, but I didn't. We're in the midst of deer hunting season, and even though there are "No Hunting" signs posted, the previous owners told me that they have always allowed the guys on the fire squad to hunt up here. All their tales of bears and moose did not concern me, but when the missus turned to me and said, "If they show up, just go out and tell them you don't want them to hunt up here," I wanted to scream. You mean I have to go out and tell the men who might someday be in a position to save my house from burning down that they can't hunt where they've always hunted? When I told her, I really didn't want them to hunt here because of our dog, she just said, "Well, we've always tried to get along with the locals." That's what she called them, "the locals," like they're some alien underclass. I guess I'll wait the two weeks for hunting season to be over before I venture out there, and even then I'll only do so while singing--loudly.

Our trip to Glens Falls was productive. Ken hung out at Home Depot for hours and hours, buying lots of items we need to make the place livable. I relaxed at Starbucks, then ventured on to explore the shopping opportunities. I visited Price Chopper, which appears to be a very good, supersized supermarket. The produce was of high quality for a supermarket, so I'm sure I'll be shopping there. I found an excellent discount liquor store with a large wine inventory. My favorite, Excelsior Cabernet Sauvignon from Robertson, South Africa, was in abundance, to my delight. Wal-Mart was in evidence, but will never be frequented by me or Ken, not even once. The boycott is still and always will be in effect, at least for us. There's a Sears, J.C. Penney, Target, Lowe's, Jo-Ann's Fabrics--lots of chains in this part of Glens Falls. We didn't venture into the shopping district of the city--that will require a day of exploration by itself.

It's annoying to me that I had to spend five to six hours there in that wasteland of a mall area, but sometimes one must.

Tomorrow morning early, perhaps I'll hike through the back, yelling and singing and pretending Sophie's with me. To hell with the hunters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home