Saturday, November 19, 2005

We decided to stay here one more day before heading back to Canton. It's too hard to leave, although Sunday we must. This morning I stayed in my bathrobe until ten thirty, an unheard of luxury. Then, after a shower, I explored, being ever mindful that hunters could be around, imagining that I'm a deer in a light blue parka. I sang but felt stupid talking to myself, which I was advised to do. As I headed east out the back of our land, many mountains to the north become visible, including Gore Mountain with its now-snowy ski trails. They're making snow like crazy now, the jet guns going full blast, in preparation for the mountain's opening next week. How I wish I were going to be here when it does! But there's no way.

I wish I could come up when the carpet and upholstery cleaners arrive on December 6. Maybe I can figure out a way where I just have to be here, to make sure all goes well. I have hired someone locally to let the cleaners in and lock up when they leave, but in many, many ways I'd prefer to take care of it all myself. Could I persuade Ken that I just have to make the trip up for three days? I could think up other essential jobs that need doing, I'm just sure I could convince him if I can get into my most diplomatic personna. Then the next day, I could sneak up to the mountain and ski my brains out for a few hours, and then return home the following day, December 8, a week before we move. Would that be so horrible?

Annie and her colleagues at Broderick Real Estate rise early on most weekday mornings and put in a couple of hours of skiing before heading to the office. Sounds like a great way to start the day.

We drove to North Creek for some errands, introduced ourselves to Sarah, the young woman who's the proprieter of the famous Cafe Sarah on Main Street. Great bakery, delicious coffee, cozy seating area. She knows us on sight from our years of frequenting the cafe during our vacations. Turns out the property across the street from us, which the previous owners of our house owned as well, was just sold. But I wanted to buy it, damn it! It's been sold to a married couple who are friends of hers. They sound like nice people--they're teachers at a local school. So at least we're getting some good neighbors, but I'd rather not have building going on right across the street. Oh, well.

Then Ken suggested we head off to visit our friends in Minerva. We found David and Randi's labs, Hudson and Gracie, but the rest of the family is vacationing in Tennessee, where they used to live. Because they own Morningside Camps and Cottages, their vacation comes when the summer season is over. So we hopped back in the car and headed off to visit Pete and Anne Hornbeck in Olmstedville. They were both home, Pete preparing for a big fishing trip to western New York. Ken and Pete talked in Pete's boat building shop (he is owner of the prestigious Hornbeck Boats), and when I expressed interest in Anne's quilting, she showed me all her quilts and gave me a tour of her quilt-making shop, a beautiful project room above her garage. Pete is ecstatic we've made the move up here and we hope to see lots more of them

Then home we went after a stop at Tops, the grocery in North Creek. Ken talked me into having pizza for the second time this week. I have no real way to make a dinner other than hamburgers or pizza, so I gave in. And here we are; it's six thirty and I supposed I have to pop that thing in the oven, which is totally inferior to the one I have at home. How long will I be able to stand it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home