Friday, December 30, 2005

I wish it would snow. I want to go skiing in the worst way. I've heard the surface at Gore Mountain is very hard right now. Since I'm expecting to fall a bit as I get used to downhill skiing again, I'm dying for lots of powdah. Gore's homegrown snow in warm weather just can't compete with the real thing.

The warmth of the past week to ten days is easy on the fuel bill, but I wish temps would normalize to at least level out to below freezing.

The day after the Glens Falls trip, when I was so down from the hassles of shopping there, Sophie and I went on a long trek to the Barton Trailhead. From the maps I've consulted, Barton is a smallish mountain or a big hill, depending on one's point of view. We did not climb, because I would have had to leash her, and that did not seem safe, given some of the ice mixed with the snowpack. The leashing is necessary because this is the trapping season and trapping is allowed on state lands, damn it. I did ask whether they trap specifically on the trails and fortunately they do not. We found the trailhead that leads to Fish Pond, which is on level ground, and leashing Sophie here I can manage fine. The walk to these wild places is gorgeous, hilly, and long. The hike from the house to these sites and back took us two hours, and all of this we took at a very brisk pace. It would make sense to drive and park the car at the trailhead sites, but it's many more miles to get there by car. It would take us at least 15-20 minutes to drive there, all because the upper, middle part of Coulter Road is never plowed. I know this sounds strange, and it is difficult to explain, but a number of the roads here are like that. The middle, uninhabited parts are not plowed.

I'm so mad that I misplaced my new compass. I have searched and searched the place where I remember putting it, and I've scoured other logical spots. The hell of moving--things get misplaced so easily while everything is in such disarray.

Now that I have my PC up and running and am no longer reliable on the oldish laptop that is still running Windows 98, I'll be able to post photos soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home