Sunday, December 18, 2005

Today Sophie and I are going snowshoeing, I vow. (She did not get sick from the chili she found across the street from our neighbor’s. Just a Tex-Mex dog, I guess.) So, excessive fatigue or not, I’ll get those new shoes on and head out the back or up on the state-owned trails that are right around the corner. Temps have warmed considerably since Wednesday. In fact, at six this morning it was only about 25 degrees, and, according to the weather experts, these temps should be in place for the next six days or so. Time for outdoor sports; to hell with unpacking, although I’m dying to get my stereo and P.C. up and running.

As far as downhill skiing goes, I think I’ve mentioned that I haven’t been since my late twenties, although I’m a veteran cross-country skier. I have to confess I’m very nervous about putting on those monstrously heavy downhill ski boots and inserting them in the bindings. So clunky! But I have to start somewhere, and the back pasture looks like a fine place to get my sea legs. Is it possible I can get to Gore Mountain this week? With my non-holiday ski pass, I won’t be able to ski from December 24-January 1, so I’m eager to get there before Saturday. First step: Ski lesson or the smallest of the little bunny slopes? The lesson is key, though. I just want to learn the proper stance and where to put my weight. Crucial. Okay, so I’ll plan a day. How about Tuesday and Thursday? One day for the lesson and the other day to practice what I’ve learned.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd recommend going to Titus Mt. in the Malone area. Lots of very easy, long trails and inexpensive too.

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home