Saturday, December 31, 2005

Later this morning Sophie and I are going to drive to the trailhead and hike to Kibby Pond. According to the U.S. Geological Survey map I've been consulting, it should be somewhat of an uphill climb, but not drastically so. We'll do this as long as the snowmobile tracks make it that far. The snow is so icy now that each step takes a huge effort as each foot breaks the crust and then sinks way down. Walking on ice where snowmobiles have packed down the snow is a cinch, especially with my new Yaktrax walkers--there's no need for snowshoes. If you find the ice treacherous in your neighborhood, by all means, don't hesitate to get yourself a pair. They're so easy to slip on shoes or boots and make ice walking a breeze. I wish I had known about them years ago.

Yesterday the spunky dog and I hiked for more than two and a half hours. We tried to hike to the Fish Ponds, but since we walked to the trailhead instead of driving, it was just too far to make it the whole way. The trail walking was terrific, though, and I can't wait to explore this whole area further. When we first set out, the sun was breaking through both the smoky gray altocumulus clouds and the white puffy cumulus clouds. The resulting color display was breathtaking. Eleventh Mountain turned the most intense purplish blue I have ever seen. I was so stunned that I was seeing this color in nature that I stopped and gaped with my mouth wide open.

When we made it home, both dog and dogmother were tired and extremely hungry. I heated about six ounces of milk and added the most delicious hot chocolate mix I have ever found. Most commercial preparations are too sugary and taste artificial to me. But Lake Champlain Chocolates Organic Hot Chocolate is just right, made only with cocoa and 10 grams of sugar per tablespoon. The dog had a little dog food and a tablespoon of canned pumpkin, leftover from the pumpkin muffins I baked. (Every retriever I've ever had has been crazy about pumpkin.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home