Wednesday, March 08, 2006

I've been transported to a 21st century version of the Emerald City. I'm at Wellesley College at the new student center, the Lulu Chow Wang Center, otherwise simply known as the Wang Center. It's an architectural embodiment of nirvana, a shangri-la complete with a coffee bistro that makes Starbucks look like a bar in the Bowery. Immaculate, pearl-white computers with internet access open for anyone to use (as if the hundreds and hundreds of computers in the library and instructional buildings are not enough), floor-to-cathedral-ceiling glass walls that overlook the lake (complete with upholstered small booths and windowseats)--come on! What is going on here? I'm troubled by the message of this building. As beautiful as it is, every inch reeks of privilege and elitism. I was also disturbed by the numbers of people who were obviously not students--men in thousand-dollar suits and women dressed to the nines. Would someone tell me what's going on? As an alumna, I'm concerned about the message students take in when they spend time here. I could go on about this ad nauseam, but this blog is not the place. I'm just glad that none of my money ended up here. A college or university is not the place for opulence.

I can't wait to get back home to my mountains and to a different set of values. I'm screaming inside because I just don't want to be in urban sprawl anymore. I don't feel like myself. I'm depressed and exhausted and waiting to get the hell out of here.

Update on my patients: Mom is doing fine. She is moving this afternoon to a rehab unit where physical therapy will begin in earnest tomorrow. Uncle Connie looked just a little bit perkier today. His eyes seemed just a shade brighter, but I don't know if I'm kidding myself or not.

Looks like I'm going to be driving into an ice storm up north tomorrow. Oh, joy. If it gets too bad, I'll find a Comfort Inn or something on the Northway. I'd delay going home a day, but the icy precip. is expected to continue thru Friday night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home