Tuesday, February 28, 2006

A morning and afternoon of solitude. A perfect day off for someone who works surrounded by people. Ken had a gig in Olmstedville, so I had the day to myself. After spending some time reading this morning, Sophie and I trekked out to knoll country. Because of the excellent visibility, I wanted to snowshoe up "Sanity Hill" (so dubbed by our next-door neighbor).

I hiked all over the top of the hill, but the highlight of the trip is always the look-out at the open ledge. The northwest wind blustered and made my eyes water, even though I was wearing sunglasses, and my face felt flash-frozen. At that moment I was glad I decided not to go skiing; the wind whips mercilessly on the north-facing trails, which are the ones I like most. I marveled over the view with Sophie by my side, sitting at attention on a short leash. (I'm afraid she'll try a flying leap off the ledge).

Animal tracks were absent today everywhere I snowshoed. All I saw was one set of coyote tracks and the footprints of another tiny animal. (Must find out who owned these in my Tracks guide.) That's it, and we were out hiking more than two hours. Are the animals lying low because of the cold? I wouldn't think so; I'd think they'd be out mid-day while the sun was high.

We tramped out into our acreage, and I was downcast because so many trees were blown down in that high-wind storm of ten days ago. Ken and I have been noting that we need a chainsaw, and considering that my way was totally blocked by fallen birch, spruce, and poplars, I'm eager to buy one. I don't like the feeling that I can't hike back there. I was talking yesterday with Martin Olsen, who works at Garnet Hill Cross-Country Ski Center. He came to my office yesterday, as he does on the days when he downhill skis. Evidently the cross-country trail that links Garnet Hill to Gore is now completely blocked by dozens of fallen trees. Clearing that out will have to wait until this summer. It's a huge job, clearing a trail after a big blow-down. Makes me wonder, can we manage it? I want to fish in Kibby Creek come May, so we'd better do something.

My legs and arms were shaky by the time I got back to the house. Low-blood sugar, I guess; I definitely needed something to eat. I should start carrying a snack with me on these trips. I made a cup of hot cocoa and sat looking out to the northeast, studying the high peaks from the living room. Such peace. I spent the next hour writing, ate lunch, took a shower and a nap. What a great day.

I keep meaning to keep track of the books I've read. I'm now relaxing with Friends, Lovers, Chocolate by Alexander McCall Smith. I love the Isabel Dalhousie books, all because of the Edinburgh setting. Edinburgh is a city beyond description. I don't know when a place has stimulated my creative juices more. The dramatic landscape, with the castle towering over the city, made me breathless when I was nineteen, and has been a cherished memory ever since. It would be lovely to return. In the meantime, I read these books.

1 Comments:

Blogger Greaneyedgemini said...

I like your blog. If you get a chance check out mine at http://Adirondackmind.blogspot.com. I welcome any poems or stories especially about life in the wilderness. Please pass it on. Thanks!

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home