Saturday, March 04, 2006

A howling wind today but slightly milder temperatures. I believe we maxed out at about 26-27 degrees here at the house. I decided I wouldn't head out to Gore or Garnet Hill but would snowshoe the Siamese Ponds Wilderness area with Sophie. We decided on a relatively easy trail, one that involved no steep mountainous ascent. But it wasn't a cinch, not by any means. We hiked past Chatiemac Lake up the trail that eventually leads to Second Pond, west of Gore Mountain. The snow was so deep; I was amazed. The greater snow depth is because of the site's elevation. Before we stepped foot out of the car, we had climbed and climbed up a steep mountain road for over two miles. I knew we were high because Gore Mountain didn't tower over us. From the west, Gore looks so different; I couldn't tell it was a skiers' mountain at all.

We crossed innumerable brooks and streams, and one that was running full tilt despite the frigid temps we've been having. I made it across going in, but on the way back, I realized I'd never make it across in my snowshoes. I took them off all right, but I still didn't make it across. Squish! One foot went all the way in, and I no longer hike in waterproof boots because I need the foot support of my Trekkers.
No matter, I was less than a mile from the car, and I was warm from the strenous activity.

I wanted so badly to make it all the way to Second Pond, but I didn't like the looks of the sky to the west, over in Indian Lake country. It looked like a squall was materializing. What if I were overtaken by 30 minutes of a furious snowfall? My tracks would fill in and I'd have trouble retracing my steps. I probably needn't have worried, because the trail was so well marked, but still...I'm the cautious type.

When we returned to the car, there was a couple putting on snowshoes and a ferocious English Springer Spaniel that attacked Sophie. Fortunately, the spaniel's teeth, though bared, did not break skin.

Lots of adventures this past week. And back to work tomorrow. Sigh. I hate being cooped up all day in a stuffy, windowless office.

I still want to blog about my reading and writing. Perhaps later? I do hope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home