Monday, February 27, 2006

Coldest weather of the winter, with the possible exception of the two-three days we moved in, in mid-December. It was more than ten below zero this morning when I walked Sophie before heading out to work. Both of us were more than glad to keep the walk brief. My face froze and Sophie's paws were giving her trouble.

People are skiing, for sure, but they're spending lots of time in the lodge drinking hot chocolate and coffee, too. There was a photo shoot on the mountain today for one of the big ski magazines, and a few hearty photographers, models, and Gore personnel braved the event.

Last evening after work, actually it was just before five, Ken and I took in a mini-adventure to Black Mountain Ski Motel and Lodge, which is the closest restaurant to our home. I suggested we drop in and have a drink before dinner, because I have heard from so many people that it's now the most popular place to hang out among mountain employees, professionals in town, and, well, all year-round folks. We've found it's important to hang out from time to time, because it's in watering holes like this one that critical information gets exchanged. When you're new to town, it's fun to walk into a place and know people. We had a long conversation with one of Annie's colleagues, a really nice guy, who had just returned from 100 miles of snowmobiling in the Indian Lake region. He's a real outdoorsman and knows trails around here that are not in any of the guidebooks. But we didn't talk about that. Our conversation focused on home energy possibilities--solar, wind power, propane generators, and the like. I'm learning a lot from conversations with other people who've lived here a while, and who have discovered unique ways to survive. I soak up all the information I can and feel frustrated when it would appear awkward if I pulled out a memopad.

To ski or not to ski? Tomorrow's forecast is for windchill temperaturest to be twenty to thirty degrees below zero. I think if I ski at all, I will step into my cross-country skis and travel the forest trails near home. We

My seed order arrived in the mail today! Didn't I just place my order on Friday? I'm mystified at how they managed to get it here so quick, because central Maine is not nearby, not by a long shot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home