Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Snow has been falling since yesterday morning. We have, perhaps, four inches of the stuff here at the house. It's cold again and thoughts naturally turn to skiing. Garnet Hill is not open today, and it seems from their website they won't open again until Friday. Gore is going full tilt and I contemplate taking a few runs. There are two problems, however.

The first is the deplorable state of our mountain road. Even the people who have lived here since forever say it's the worst they've ever seen it. Cavernous ruts, which are now frozen solid overnight, but deliver mud during the day. Actually, we stayed below freezing all day today, which made getting up and down much easier. But my minivan is totally out of commission for the present and foreseeable future. Ken thinks I should take it down the road tomorrow morning before any thawing can take place and try to find someone nearby who will rent me parking space. I think that's the only reasonable thing to do. The way my family affairs stand, I might be called to Massachusetts at any moment, so having transportation is crucial. And this road situation is likely to remain a problem until late May, depending on the weather. Not to mention the fact that I hate feeling that I'm stuck at the house. Ken has to go back to Olmstedville on a job, so I'm without a car unless I do something. The only problem is, after skiing tomorrow, I'll have to hike up the road, which is a very long, steep climb, as I've noted in the past.

Which brings me to the second problem. I hate to mention physical infirmities, but since that "wicked wipe-out" at Garnet Hill two weeks ago, my knee has been problematic. The funny thing is, it was not too bad until I drove the five plus hours to Massachusetts. Since that road trip, I've been having pain. On the other hand, if I don't ski now, the season will end without my having tasted the end of it. So, if I'm gung ho tomorrow, I'll do a couple of runs, and then come home. In between runs, I'll hang out in the Saddle Lodge, resting and enjoying the ambiance.

The other must-do tomorrow is a garden planning meeting with Ken. I'm trying to enlist him to help with the construction of a number of items I need to get this vegetable garden underway. I'm praying he'll feel like building a two-tier florescent light stand that will enable me to grow lots of seedlings indoors. He's already agreed to build a cold frame, which will harden off the plants before they are transplanted into the ground in June. Then, there's the necessity of a compost bin. I'd settle for just a regular old heap of compost, but since it will contain lots of horse manure, and since that's Sophie's caviar, we definitely need a bin to keep her snout out of it. Friday, we're going to Glens Falls to purchase some of the materials we need for these projects.

I do hope that spring is not in too much of a hurry to come up here because I'm still enjoying the winter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home