Friday, March 10, 2006

Yesterday, late in the afternoon, I heaved a sigh of relief when I sailed past the Lake George exit on the Northway. Hallelujah--back in the Adirondacks again. I left the Boston area after a full day crammed into the morning hours. I visited with Uncle Connie, who rallied for his birthday. When I walked into his hospital room, he was sitting up in a chair, fully dressed. We talked a bit, then he followed with a complete history of Casey's Diner in Natick. If I weren't so exhausted, I'd detail some of the highlights, but Casey's has been a fixture in the life of the men on my father's side of the family. I was amazed that he had the strength to talk to me for that length of time, and it reminded me of similar bursts of energy that Ken's father experienced during his final days, when he visited and chatted with us, just as he had in days past. I hated to leave him.

I visited with Mom, who's still doing fine and getting adjusted to the rehab unit she's on. With my brother visiting just about everyday, I think I left her in good hands.

So, I'm so glad to be home and away from the congestion of Massachusetts. I've been incredibly exhausted all day. I walked Sophie and we visited our neighbors Ed and Cindy who are putting the finishing touches on the vacation home they built together. I'm really impressed by Cindy. I can't imagine being involved in such a huge building project. I like the results, but the thought of the work involved makes me want to find the nearest couch!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home