Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Since we moved to the Adirondacks, I've been plagued by a ravenous appetite. In Boston, my body became hungry, but I wouldn't say I had much of an appetite; in other words, food didn't turn me on, with the possible exception of summer berries. But here, food not only tastes wonderful, but I'm hungry nearly all the time. Today it made me crazy, and I decided I've just got to allow myself to eat more because I can't stand it!

I've just finished reading a fascinating new book. Its strongest point is that it's a soup-to-nuts overview of the earth's changing climate and global warming. Australian scientist Tim Flannery's The Weather Makers: How Man is Changing the Climate and What It Means for Life on Earth is a must read, for the person who knows little about the subject, and especially for those (like me) who think they know everything about global warming and climate change. We've just got to make our politicians and other leaders wake up, because thousands of scientists say that we are approaching a threshold, perhaps beginning as early as 2010, when it may become too late to reverse disastrous consequences for our planet. The book is full of science, simply explained, and backed up with dozens of pages of footnotes.

Tomorrow we were thinking of going to the "big" city, Glens Falls, but I'm so tired I'm thinking I'd rather go for a hike (I thought you said you were tired?) and write and read the rest of the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home