Tuesday, April 04, 2006

A snowy day and a chilly night. We're due to go down into the twenties tonight, which means that early tomorrow morning, the mud on the roads will be frozen and will stay off of Sophie's feet and tummy.

Yesterday we tackled the "mountain" I've nicknamed Bramble Ridge. Two weeks ago we climbed it, but because I was expecting a phone call, we didn't have time to reach the top. So up again we went. Once again, I became so ensnared in the brambles, all I wanted to do was shout, "Help me!" With an even thicker grove of brambles ahead, there was nothing to do but tack south and climb up where there were more trees and fewer brambles. Only problem, the trees obscured the view.

When Sophie and I got to the top (what a speedy mountain goat that dog is!), I was hoping to see down the western side, but no! There was a 100 foot drop followed by a level plain and then another 200-300 foot incline of pure brambles. Forget that! Soph and I retraced our steps and headed for home. When I got there, I checked the US Geological Survey topo map and found that the ridge we climbed was 2,639 feet and the one that we chose not to tackle was nearly 2900. The topmost peak of Eleventh Mountain is only 3000 feet. That's where we'll head next, once the land dries out. The ground is incredibly muddy now.

As I'm writing this, a guy in an ATV has been bombing up and down our road. I wish I could understand what the point is. I mean, what is so much fun about riding an ATV? It's bumpy as hell, reeks of gasoline vapors, obliterates all sound, I don't get it and I don't think I ever will.

I think I have an idea for a tourist-oriented summertime business. I'm more compelled by the prospect of running my own operation than working for other people, although I fully intend to work at Gore next winter. I have the spring to explore the possibility and help Ken with marketing ideas for his business. Things are in such a pre-formative stage that I can't even blog about it yet, but the seed has been planted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home