Friday, July 28, 2006

It rained off an on all day so I spent my time doing business paperwork. No matter how much time I spend on the business, I barely scratch the surface of all there is to do. My website is still in process, and in a few weeks I'll have to add the Fall 2006 content. I'm still writing ads: I'm going to be advertising in the Gore Mountain brochure for 2006-2007 and on their website. I'm psyched about that; their website got 3.1 million hits last season. This week I also made some important contacts with some five-star inns in the area. The concept: Wilderness adventure by day, luxury and pampering by night, complete with massage, jacuzzi, wine bar, and three-course dinner by candlelight. Sounds like fun to me!

I pounded away on the treadmill this afternoon while I read Women with Altitude: Challenging the Adirondack High Peaks in Winter by Carol White. Bushwhacking up the High Peaks in winter, I'm sorry to say, is a bit out of my league. If one can judge by the memoirs of women included in this book, their winter trips were miserably uncomfortable. Climbing with snowshoes, 30 degrees below zero, through whiteouts and ice, hanging on to icy cliff faces, talk about extreme sports! I love the snowshoes part, I love the climbing in winter part, but is it necessary to endanger one's life to have a peak experience in nature?

Here's my idea of a winter adventure: Snowshoe up a decent, marked trail (that has been scouted out previously) to an altitude of 2,500 to 3,000 feet. Carry a tiny camp stove for hot drinks to be prepared on the trail, bring thermoses of hot chocolate and sandwiches. Ooh and aah over coyote and deer tracks and the view of snowy peaks. Be at the end of the trail as the sun sets. Climb into car. Drive home to tea, or to a bar for a wine and conversation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home