Tuesday, July 11, 2006

While I wait for the infernal printer in Plattsburgh to get his act together and do my brochures (the latest story from my designer is that the printer's computer and printer are not communicating at the moment), I'm hiking lots of new trails, with the hopes of adding a few to the safaris I offer my clients.

The weather has been great, which means it hasn't rained for quite a stretch. Temperatures have run from the high seventies to low eighties each day, which has been feeling hot on days I'm climbing a mountain in the sun with a pack on my back. I've been getting out everyday because I know we'll hit a heat wave soon when I won't be able to explore.

When I'm not hiking, and not examining wildflowers, trees, mosses, and other plants, I'm working on the business, often dealing with advertising and financial issues. On a good day, though, I chafe at these chores, and wish I could confine them to rainy days.

I have been sorry for months that I've been unable to find the time or make the time to write. Yeah, I write the blogs, which is writing of a kind, but when I say I want more time and mental space to write, I mean fiction or one of my nonfiction projects. I also wish I were writing in my journal--there's so much about my life, the people I meet, and the things that happen that are just not blog material.

As far as the gardening goes, the incredible wet weather of late June made me glad that I didn't start a vegetable garden out back. The entire area is still sopping wet. What I have, however, is a garden on the deck. I have 5 tomato plants (four different varieties I grew from seed), summer squash, zucchini, two varieties of sweet red peppers, cucumbers, peas (gone now), lettuce, swiss chard, beets, and then I have some eggplant coming along. I love to go out there first thing in the morning to see how each plant has grown or changed since sunset. We have a hummingbird feeder on the deck, too, and it's fun to see them come to feed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home