Thursday, August 03, 2006

The heat has finally broken. I can't believe how bothered I was. A large part of the difficulty was that if it was too hot to safari, I wanted to be upstairs in my office working. But it was unbearable lots of the time up there, and the rest of the time, I just put a fan on and sweated it out. An air conditioner upstairs? I hate to dedicate a window to it, I hate to "waste" the energy, but maybe next year. Working in the living room is not productive. It's just not a work room. I look out to the mountains, read what's on the coffee table, walk to the kitchen to get tea and limeade, fall asleep on the couch...oh, well.

One positive about the heat: the tomatoes, zucchini, summer squash, cucumbers, and peppers are actually ripening! I even have a red tomato on the vine, and lots of ripe grape tomatoes. (This after Ann told me that tomatoes and peppers just don't ripen up here: I think she forgot to take global warming into account.) Last night I feasted on zucchini and summer squash and they were so tender. I heartily recommend growing them in large pots. And, for me, it's so much fun to have grown them from seeds.

Since the business has been very quiet, I've been improvising. Brainstorming lots of related work that I can do that will introduce more people to the business and get Adirondack Safaris better known. I hope it's going to work out that I can lead a series of "Autumn Leaves" after-school workshops at the Adirondack Lakes Center for the Arts in Blue Mountain Lake in September and October. I have done all kinds of art projects with leaves in my life, and I think it will be really fun for kids.

And I'm in the midst of putting together a series of wilderness hikes "For Women Only" in August, and again in September. Only problem, I have to pay to advertise them, and I've overspent the marketing budget again and again.

I just can't help posting puppy pictures.

Gracie and her eleven puppies are continuing to do well--go Gracie!

No, Ken and I are not getting one. We're waiting for the day when Gracie and Hudson, the LaBars' yellow Lab, have puppies. I want a mellow yellow little girl pup.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home