Monday, August 07, 2006

Looks like this post is going to be written in fits and starts, according to Ken's work schedule and dinner preparations tonight.

The past couple of days have been a bit frustrating, business-wise and in the neighborhood. Two "doors" down from us an orchardist from the Great Lakes region bought acres upon acres of gorgeous land, which includes the famous hill and "ledge" that I'm always photographing and writing about. He brought in his own excavating equipment and put in what Ken describes as "a $100,000 road."

We hiked this road on Sunday morning and surveyed the damage. At first Ken insisted that this byway could not possibly be a driveway because of all the money put into its construction. The equipment tore apart an entire hillside and made this incredibly wide, winding road that leads to a huge lot which appears more than large enough to hold a trophy Mcmansion.

As if that were not obscene enough, the road winds beyond the house, farther up the hill, to the very edge of the ledge that has the amazing view. His entire acreage has been ripped apart, literally. The hillside, as the photos show, was partially destroyed. It's unbelievable to me, but somehow this orchard owner bought I don't know how many acres and managed to tear it all apart.

What is so mind boggling about this behavior is that he did this in the Adirondack Park, a place that has been dedicated to wilderness preservation since the 1890s. Ken and I deliberately did not build a house here because we did not want to destroy any more of the land or squander any of its resources. People in our neck of the woods, even those with money, build cabins and leave the land wild.

He'd better hope he's a weekender because I don't have a clue who'll be friends with him. When I said this to Ken, he looked as though he was going to start naming people who are in this guy's league. His mouth hung open a while, but no names came out. He couldn't do it. Could the orchard guy be among the first of a new breed here? Is he winging in on the heels of the massive development that is being planned for Gore Mountain and North Creek? You know the kind: trailside chalets, a 300-room hotel, an equestrian center, loads of shops and manicure parlors.

Pondering what could be our last visit to the ledge

Ken and I hiked this huge scar all the way to the ledge. The bulldozer went to the very edge of the edge. No, don't tell me--are you thinking what I was thinking at that moment?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made a similarly nasty discovery in my own neck of the woods recently, not as drastic as yours, nor as distressing but....

In my case I threw stones at the bulldozer parked under the trees

If I were you I would go for it!

6:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you checked with the town to see if this guy has a permit?

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home