Wednesday, January 04, 2006

After watching skiers rush out of the marketing department to hit the slopes all day Sunday and Monday, I've been waiting for my time to get out there. Yesterday I got familiar with all my ski gear and paraphenalia, bought a ski lock, and practiced taking my new boots and skis on and off. Today Sophie and I hiked only two miles early in the morning, because I was hoping to make it to the mountain to get a morning ski lesson. I figured since I haven't been downhill skiing in 26 years, a private lesson would help me get my sea legs back.

By the time I got to the mountain, it was sunny, and I was hot in my ski clothes--temps were about 35 degrees. I baked, although baking gives the impression of dry heat. My experience was considerably steamier. The 10:30 lessons were overbooked, so I was only able to get a lesson at noon. In the meantime, I struggled into my boots. The equipment, especially the boots, are challenging. It's the whole "inner boot" construction that makes it so difficult. I felt better when I saw a crew of young college students huffing and puffing while pulling on their boots.

Every step of the entire morning was new to me. Carrying skis, lugging boots--they weigh an absolute ton nowadays--, figuring out how my lock works, walking. Walking! It's nearly impossible in this footgear, but I knew I had to get from the lodge to the ski lesson waiting area, and I just prayed and hoped gumption and momentum would get me there.

Fortunately I had a patient instructor. He was kind and supportive, though he was also a strict taskmaster. I progressed from the kiddie slope to the mountain in about ten minutes, but each minute presented some new challenge to conquer. I was mentally and physically exhausted after an hour, and decided it would be best to return to practice what I learned tomorrow or Friday instead of going up for another run.

After eating a very late lunch at home, I collapsed on the couch to watch a PBS documentary--Icons of Twentieth Century Art. Viewing art is restful, yet exciting at the same time.

All in all, I feel great to have the first time out behind me. It can only get easier from here. Yet another adventure under my belt. The view? The scenic vistas from up the mountain? I didn't see a single thing except my feet and skis and the instructor. The full mountaintop experience will have to wait for me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're awesome - I would have given up at the boots! Enjoy your wonderful new home and environments. If you're having this much fun now, imagine how fabulous summer will be.

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home