Thursday, April 13, 2006

I didn't intend for there to be blog silence this week, but the juggling I'm doing is interfering with my leisure activities. As mentioned in previous posts, I am moving toward starting a business, and this week I ran into several obstacles that I wasn't expecting.

First of all, the business: I'm calling it Adirondack Safaris, and I am going to provide half-day and day-long nature adventures for individuals and families of all ages, including those with very young children. The woman who runs the office for the Gore Mountain Region Chamber of Commerce said that there is a huge need for activities suitable for young families, in particular. They can't go whitewater rafting, high peak mountain climbing, rock climbing, or do much in the way of paddling. That's terrific, because I have lots of easy trails and nature activities for young children to enjoy with their parents. Then again, I also have lots of hiking and climbing opportunities I can present to families with older children and teens, as well as birdwatching and wildflower explorations for people with those interests.

My obstacle, which seemed monstrous last night, is that the State of New York requires that I become a New York State Licensed Guide in Hiking, in order to lead people into the woodlands. This involves taking 2 Red Cross courses, one dealing with First Aid and CPR, the other dealing with Water Safety. Even though I have no intention of leading people in water sports, because this is the Adirondacks, there is water everywhere, and I guess I have to know what to do if the people I'm guiding get it into their heads to enter the lakes or ponds we come across. I don't have to become a lifeguard, thank goodness.

To be a licensed guide, I also must pass an exam, which has a general section and a special section on hiking. When I was at the library today, Autumn told me that she's a licensed guide and the exam is really easy as long as you know basic skills and how to read topo maps and the like. I'm getting more information, and hopefully I can study and take (and pass!) the exam in May. I need to have a physical exam--I had one recently and I was fine, so now all I need to do is find a New York State doctor who agrees.

So everything looks much rosier than last night when I discovered these requirements. It turns out I can take the entire First Aid and CPR course this Saturday, all day, in Glens Falls. The water safety thing I can do, the Red Cross said, by reading the book and taking a test on it. That sounds simple. So now maybe I can go back to worrying about creating a brochure (It's got to be all-color to compete with all the other tourist brochures 'round here.) and developing a business plan.

The seed planting is continuing and the weather has been so warm, I've been able to take many plants out during the day. I'm waiting anxiously for my peas to germinate; I've never planted them before, so it has me a little nervous.

That's all I the time I have for today; I'll try to blog tomorrow.

2 Comments:

Blogger TourPro said...

Hey, sounds like a great plan. It's not a bad thing to get the DEC license, helps with credibility and stuff. We do have a need for nature and family type guides. One other thing you may consider is insurance, the liability type. Whenever we recommend guides, "Licensed and Insured" always go together. Good Luck and feel free to contact me if you have any questions about tourism stuff around the region.

8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like things are going fine Judith. We miss you at Covenant Meetings. Ralph UU

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home