Saturday, April 08, 2006

Life is so full, there's so much I want to do everyday. Every morning I make my list and set the priorities and then go like hell all day to squeeze it all in. I did take some leisure time this afternoon to reread a short story I last read in the seventh grade. Jack London's "To Build a Fire" is a story that's been in my mind all winter as I've hiked through the snow. It's a great story, and I enjoyed reading in the book of collected stories and novels that I borrowed from the library how London spent a year in the Yukon in 1897-1898, gathering material for his Yukon stories. He didn't venture far from his cabin or the tavern in Dawson, but lingering over drinks with all kinds of backwoods characters, he gathered all the information he needed to write convincingly about backswoodsmen and the brutal world of winter in the far North.

On a trail near home that I like very much, there is at least eight or nine different kinds of mosses and lichens. Mosses have never interested me, nor have lichens, but the beds of the stuff I've discovered have been so impressive that they've sent me running to the library to seek out more information. I found one moss bed that was as soft as animal fur. I wanted to lie down and take a nap! Do you realize how little information on moss is available? Online there's next to nothing, and there are only a few obscure books in print. In desperation, I ran over to the library and found a huge book, Reader's Digest North American Wildlife, which includes probably eight pages of pictures of mosses and lichens. I think they'll help me identify at least some of what I've found.

If tomorrow is sunnier than it's been, I'll go for a hike up to Nate's Pond. At least I hope I will. It's a climb, but not out of our ability. I'm a bit worried about taking Sophie up there, though. Today, we spotted a mink climbing down a big tree bordering a swampy area, and Sophie tore after it. My "danger, danger" voice that usually sends her running back to me did not stop her. One thing I don't want is for her to tussle with a member of the weasel family--with their claws and incredible teeth, not to mention the possibility that they might be rabid. Yikes! This needs to be discussed with Ken--it's hard to climb with her on the leash all the time.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Morning!
One suggestion. Tashi has had a rabies shot recently (requirement for a UK Pet Passport that will allow him to emigrate to France and then return for visits to the UK in the future)... could Sophie have one too? That would at least protect her (and you) from the diseases, if not the dentals, of your local wildlife?

Moss! Do you know I spent a good few minutes on hands and knees examing a bed of moss on our mini-hike this morning, until Tashi decided I was making a fool of myself and should stop...
Moss, lichen, all fascinating stuff. There's a whole other microscopic world quietly going on under our feet that we rarely notice....

7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home