Thursday, January 12, 2006

I skied Gore all morning today, and it was a peak experience. I met my friend at 8:30, we gabbed for a half hour over coffee, and then she ushered me to 3000 feet. The triple chair does not go to the summit of Gore; in fact, no lift does that. One must ski over to another lift to get to that rarified atmosphere. But we were way up there in the clouds where it was foggy and a bit chilly. She suggested we take it easy--She led the way and I followed, and miracle of miracles, everything fell into place. I leaned forward into my boots, my weight stayed on the downhill ski, I turned easily (though somewhat clumsily at times). But as we skiied all the way down, skiing became easier and easier. I couldn't believe it--I was having fun! After that torture-filled first lesson, part of me wondered if I ever wanted to put on skis again.

On our return to the heights, the sun was poking through the clouds, making the sky an artist's palette of blues, turquoises, violets, and grays. I was mesmerized. And with the fog dissipating, I could see the shadowy forms of dozens and dozens of mountains in the distance. Frankly, the visibility was not great, but I had the clearest sense of what the view might be like on a clearer, less hazy day.

We stopped at the Saddle Lodge near the top, took our skis off, and waddled inside. (Those boots!) The space inside is gorgeous! A roaring fire in a Barton garnetstone fireplace, all mined just a few miles away. The view--incroyable! My friend and I sat by the fire and sipped some tea before heading down the mountain again. I was in heaven.

My friend had to be off to work (it was now 11:30), but I went up again for another run. At the end, I felt exhilarated and confident--and impatient for some snow to fall. What is with this thaw? And tomorrow I hear Adirondack temperatures will be near 50 degrees. Unheard of!

Tomorrow I've got to go to the New York Department of Motor Vehicles in Lake George--oh boy. I suppose this means I'll feel I have to shop at Price Chopper. Please, anything but that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home