Wednesday, January 11, 2006

I'm disappointed I don't have enough time for anything but a brief post. I don't know where the time goes these days. I know how the morning goes, though. Sophie and I spent it hiking. With the warm temperatures, I was out in my light fleece jacket. I do wish it were colder so it wouldn't be so muddy. I don't mind for myself, but Sophie comes home a mess.

We finally hiked the full length of the mountain road that runs parallel to our road. It lies on the other side of a huge ridge to the west of us. The interior part of this road isn't plowed during the winter. There are no houses, just woods and mountain views. And it's very still. We startled a great horned owl that was sleeping near the top of a spruce tree. He flew off toward the ridge.

I love this walk because when we're on this road, I feel as though Sophie and I are the only beings in the world. It's almost as if the world has stopped. I can think and feel at peace. Of course we're not alone. Farther up the road is a farm with horses. Sophie knows that...she loves to nibble on the manure they've left behind, deep beneath the snow.

Two hours later, we were home again, and it was time for me to do my North Creek errands. I found some fascinating books from the library. One is a biography of Georgia O'Keefe that just came out this past fall, I believe. Title to follow. At least I had a quiet half hour to read in front of the gas fire before I had to go pack my gear for an early skiing expedition tomorrow morning. I'm meeting a friend at the mountain at half past eight. That means I better get there at least a half hour earlier to get myself into those damn boots! This friend is a top-notch skier, so I'm a little nervous. I have fully informed her of my own status on the slopes, and since she has spent years as a ski instructor, she's going to give me a few tips. Too bad it has to rain tonight of all nights, but there it is. What is with this weather? More to come tomorrow. I hope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home