Saturday, February 11, 2006

Sometimes it's amazing how little can be accomplished in one day. I had an hour to think and reflect early this morning, which was not calming because I realized how much more I should be doing to stay on top of financial affairs, general business, and housework.

Sophie deserved a really good hike today, so that took 90 minutes. (Of course I loved every minute. See below.) I managed to get my haircut, which also took 90 minutes because I had to wait and no one is in a hurry. Actually, this is a good thing when it comes time for someone to cut your own hair. I rushed home, made two batches of muffins (pumpkin for me and blueberry for Ken), did three loads of laundry, and in an exhausted, mindless fog deleted hundreds of spammy e-mails. I should call and e-mail my friends in Boston, but I'm so tired, I'm afraid I'll sound like I'm languishing up here, and that's not the case at all. I'm finding it incredibly difficult; no, I'm finding it impossible to fully engage in life here and stay on top of my friends' lives back in Massachusetts. I just don't have the energy. I pick up the phone to call, stare at the wall thinking of what I can possibly say, and hang up.

The pup and I bushwhacked our way northeastward to the most distant property boundary, and then some. I was determined to make it all the way to Kibby Creek, which has been a rushing torrent this winter. The last three nights have been zero degrees or below, and, as a result, the creek is full of ice floes. Sophie raced back and forth, trying to find a place to cross, and I called her back. There was no way I wanted her in there with the mid-morning temperature of ten degrees. We headed home, across the tracks of innumerable coyotes and snowshoe hares. I guess they must battle it out all winter out there. Then, once back at the house, we headed back up the knoll, (elevation 1900 feet), with the mission to find the open ledge that we can see from the pastures on our property. When I started climbing the steeps, Sophie became nervous, rushing around at the bottom, as if she were saying, "Are you crazy climbing that steep thing?" But it wasn't that steep, really. I had sturdy boots, and I've climbed much steeper inclines than that and so has she. Not to be left behind, she bounded up, and after some searching, we came upon the ledge, which was grass and moss covered, completely open, and offered breathtaking views to the north. I had binoculars with me, and, after commanding Sophie to lie at my feet, I reveled in the unobscured views of Eleventh Mountain, Gore (including the summit), and several of the high peaks, including Mt. Marcy. I've got to get Ken up there somehow, and with a good camera. What a place for a winter picnic!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home