Thursday, February 23, 2006

Tuesday night at 8:15 p.m., Ken and I were finishing eating dinner when Pizazz! The lights came on. We sat staring at each other, open-mouthed with shock. It took several minutes for the light to sink in and for us to realize the full implications of a life with electricity. Blowdrying my hair was near the top on my list, and for Ken, besides the fact that he could now record 24, which was due to come on in 45 minutes, he was most happy about the prospect of sleeping through the night without having to bottle-feed the generator.

Today is the first of my three days off from work and I'm too exhausted to fully enjoy the day. I don't know what's wrong, but since I was sick a day last week, I've been extremely achy and tired--too tired even to cross-country ski in the new snow. We've been starved for natural snow up here. We get a dusting here, an inch there, and that's about it.

Aside from walking Sophie during a snowburst this morning--five inches fell in just a couple of hours--I'm hanging out at home today, and am in the midst of finalizing my seed order and starting a garden plan. The focus this first year will be on growing vegetables, although I do want a profusion of zinnias and daylilies. The budget is tight, so flowers must take a back seat for a while. To many people here, garden planning may seem premature, especially since we live in Zone 4 (on the outskirts of Zone 3), and we're not frost-free until early June. But we've got lots of things to work out. The building of a cold frame is one, and beginning a container garden is another. I can get a jump on the season by growing some vegetables in containers, which can be grown earlier.

No matter how tired I am, I won't be too fatigued to drop in at the Wine Bar at Friends Lake Inn with Ken early this evening. Although the inn is having their busiest time this week, it won't be crowded with the skiing hordes the way many other restaurants in the area will be. The inn attracts a quieter, more sedate clientele. I really need a haven from skier mania right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home