Sunday, February 19, 2006

We've entered our third day with no electricity. I imagine it will be awhile before we get the juice because I haven't seen hide nor hair of an electric company truck anywhere near our area. I feel sorry for the poor souls who are vacationing and whose lodging has no power. What a way to ruin your winter getaway!

The worst of our situation is the darkness. I find it so difficult to get ready for work, make my lunch, and get breakfast by flashlight or candle. But at least we have heat, running water (within limits), and electricity in Ken's office and my office. We can't run anything that uses lots of power: no heating devices, toaster ovens, hairdryers, etc. But Ken has found a way to get power to our fridge. So what do I have to complain about? Nothing, except Ken's extreme fatigue from nursing the generator along. I worry. It'll be close to zero again tonight, I believe, and he'll need to go out repeatedly.

Eleventh Mountain continues to surprise. I walked Sophie when I came home from work and we hiked up the road where we have the best view. That mountain never looks the same way twice. The colors are constantly changing along with the light and the movement of clouds. I am in a state of constant amazement whenever I walk this way. This morning, the dawn light was a subtle mixture of pink and gray, with light tones of a dull orange brushed in. When I study the scene, I imagine I'm painting a pastel drawing, blending the colors with my fingertips.

I've been dying to get away for a morning to go horseback riding. The Circle B Ranch offers winter riding, and they're not far away, in Chestertown, in fact. Annie's eyes lit up when I mentioned it to her, so maybe we'll go this week or next. The mountain is far too crowded for me this week, jam packed with families as well as teens skiing and snowboarding at death-defying speeds. No, thank you. I'll wait for all of them to go home before I venture onto the slopes again.

Ohmigod! Ken has just rigged up a light in the kitchen that's sitting on top of the fridge and connected to the electricity that's in his office. I'm so glad he has a degree in electrical engineering--if there's any way to make a woman happy, it's to put a light where she cooks. I hate to tell him, but people who inquire to the electric company are being told power won't be back til.... Wednesday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home