Saturday, February 04, 2006

After a perfectly horrid day of rain yesterday, this morning the sun is shining. It's so wet underfoot, though. I want to climb the knoll with Sophie and soak in the view. I'm not positive, but by my map calculations, I believe the huge mountain we see to the north is Mt. Marcy. One of the high peaks we can see to the north-northeast from our living room is Nippletop, and Marcy is west of that on the horizon line, according to the pictorial map at the Saddle Lodge on Gore Mountain. I'll bring maps and compass with me.

I'll have to keep Sophie on the leash through the muddy sections. If left on her own, she's sure to jump in with all four feet and sink up to her haunches. If I stick to the spots where there's still snow, we'll be okay. I should get up off this couch and get going because I'm also going grocery shopping in North Creek today.

The mention of food shopping makes me want to shriek. Tops, the only full grocery in North Creek, is closing its doors on February 15. The wholesaler buying the store chain promised that there would be no interruption in service in North Creek when Tops leaves. Yet I have neither heard nor read anything that indicates there'll be food available there after the 15th. With Tops stores closing in Chestertown, Warrensburg, and Schroon Lake, we are up the creek without the proverbial paddle. The nearest supermarket starting February 16 will be Price Chopper in Queensbury, which is 35 miles away!!! How's that for a horror show? Granted, we'll be able to buy milk at the little general store, but that's just a convenience mart, not a place to grocery shop. This all means that I will have to go to Glens Falls--Queensbury once a week, which consumes more than half a day.

On a more cheerful note, after hours of the dreariest rain, Ken and I drove the pickup over to the Wine Bar at Friends Lake Inn for our customary Friday night burger and wine. (Actually, Ken prefers the Glens Falls microbrew they've got on tap.) We're becoming Friday evening regulars over there. I just love the atmosphere--the space is so cozy and inviting, and most important, so quiet. The inn's guests gather for drinks before dinner, but despite the good-sized crew last night, it's never noisy. We talked a long time with a couple from Connecticut who are building a home in Thurman, on the south side of Crane Mountain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home